image

image

Review: Summer House

Those Melman's really have the Midas touch. Hot off the heels of Three Dots and a Dash and they have yet another success to add to their impressive list. The Melman brothers were actually sitting next to my sister and I while we dined. One part of me wanted to run up to them like a crazed fan screaming, “show me how to make buckets of money!!!!”, while the other part wanted to act too cool and pretend like I didn’t even notice they were there. The latter prevailed.

My sister and I went to Summer House on a cold, rainy night usually reserved for the couch - yet upon walking into the restaurant we felt the whole Southern Cali vibe. With a retractable roof, this place will be unstoppable in the summer.
Summer House bar area

Garage doors will open in the summer








Retractable roof will open in the summer - day drinking!!
Bonfire cocktail - blanco tequila, grapefruit, honey, bitters. I'm loving the drink trends I've been seeing in the past year or so - and Summer House keeps in line with the competition. Their drink menu has a small selection of custom cocktails and my sister and I were able to try 3 of the 5 (all in the name of blogging...).  I had two of the Bonfire so I guess I will call it my favorite for now. Must try them all - just to be fair.
The Monte Cali is for the whiskey lovers (I enjoyed it, but definitely had a stronger whiskey taste than the waitress said it would have). The Palm Fizz is light and fresh - what you would expect from a drink with the word "fizz" in it.
As a guac connoisseur - I wholeheartedly approve. The salsa was also excellent; wished we had more than just the little side.
WOW - ahi tuna tostadas with watermelon, cilantro and avocado. So fresh and light; a great starter that allowed us to save room for a burger...and dessert...

Fresh burrata cheese with roasted celery root, lemon and shaved fennel.  The house-made grilled bread was a perfect addition - I found myself going back for more just for the bread.
Inspired by the West Coast chain, In-and-Out Burger, the Summer House burger is a must. I found it to be one of the best cooked burgers I've ever had.  Not too thick or too thin, the beef patty was cooked medium (I rarely see a burger actually cooked to a true medium when I order it that way) and was simply delicious.
The dessert bar is the first sight you see upon entering (and leaving) Summer House.  You can order off of the dessert menu or pick something from this bakery bar. I had the Brown Butter Rice Krispie treat - so buttery and gooey and everything it should ever be.
Like most of the other Lettuce Entertain You establishments, Summer House has a gluten-free menu.

http://www.summerhousesm.com/

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Cool. I was wondering when this place would open- I will deffo have to check it out when I am back in Chicago in March...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you know all about the hot spots in Chicago - even from halfway around the world! Looking forward to seeing you in March xo

      Delete