image

image

A Slice of NYC in Chicago

A weekend trip in NYC could not be complete without the famed Pomodora's "vodka pie".  Struan's friends lured us to their place in Little Italy by ordering the pizza in advance; the extra-large box was waiting for us when we walked in the door. I've heard the lore - now it was time to taste it for myself.  I was able to wrangle a piece before Struan devoured the entire pie (which is usually my M.O.) - it was pretty darn good. Then again, after a day of partying, I don't have the most discerning palette. I'm a huge fan of vodka sauce and pizza, so really couldn't go wrong here. 

Back home in Chicago we decided to replicate the vodka pie. We make pizza quite often and I was excited for an excuse to try out a new recipe. I adapted some vodka sauce recipes I found online and stuck with our tried and true dough from Mariano's. See below for the homemade vodka pie recipe - and make sure to wear stretchy pants when consuming.

Vodka Sauce:
This just makes enough for one pizza; I would double it or just add more tomatoes/cream for pasta sauce.  I like to play around with recipes depending on what I have on hand, and my taste preferences, so please do the same!

2 tbl spoons coconut oil (or olive oil) – I read an article about how great coconut oil is for cooking and they got me hook, line and sinker.  I bought mine at Trader Joes, it comes in a jar in a solid form.
½ - ¾ shallot (or yellow onion)
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp red chili pepper flakes (I like it spicy)
2 tsp Italian spice mix (or just oregano)
¾ cup vodka
2 cans whole, peeled tomatoes
1 can crushed tomatoes 
¼ cup heavy cream (to taste)
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese (to taste) 
Fresh basil leaves (to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
In a large sauce pan, heat oil and add shallots and garlic until translucent (3-5 min).  Add chili pepper and Italian spices and cook for another minute. Add vodka and let the mixture reduce a bit (3-5 min).

Strain one can of the whole tomatoes – use your hands to crush the tomatoes over the sauce pan – be careful of the squirters. Add the can of crushed tomatoes as well. Let it reduce for another 3-5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and let cook for an hour on low/med heat (if you are short on time, wing it). 

Turn off heat and let mixture cool for 5 minutes. Cut up some basil leaves (depending on taste), add to sauce and put mixture into a food processor and puree until smooth (or use a blender, but this step is important in order to get a thick sauce).  

Put mixture back into the sauce pan and add the cream (remember: you can always add more but you can’t take it back!).  Open and strain the other can of whole tomatoes – use as much as you like depending on how chunky you like it (I added about 1/2 can).  Add fresh parm. Feel free to add more herbs/spice as you like.  Simmer the sauce for another 5-10 minutes.

Vodka Pie:
Crust: I’m a huge proponent of the pizza stone – BUY ONE! It will change your pizza life.  My favorite dough is from Mariano’s but use what you like (Trader Joe’s is good too). Follow dough instructions on package. I also like to use cornmeal on the bottom for some crunch. 

Cheese: I’ve tried using fresh mozzarella but it always turns out a little rubbery. I use Sargento shredded mozzarella cheese. 

Heat the pizza stone in the oven for 15 min at 425 degrees. Take it out, sprinkle some cornmeal on top (enjoy the crackle sound), throw the dough on and get working. 

Spread vodka sauce on dough (save some to top it off), then add shredded cheese. Add more sauce on top of cheese; make sure to get some good tomato chunks on there.

Cook 10-13 minutes until it’s just how you like it.   

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment