image

image

Did you say STEAK?



In a loving gesture, my sister sent me an article from Dr. Oz about how to be healthier/live longer/blahblahblah and one of the pointers was to limit your red meat intake.  No thanks.  I’ll consume my red meat and my wine at whatever quantity I see fit and will be quite happy.  I love my meat [insert inappropriate comment here] and one of my favorite cuts to make is flank steak.  I like it because it is lean and I think it’s easy to make (it’s also easy to completely overcook and ruin it).  Below are a couple of easy recipes – both have a Latin flare (I’m obsessed I know).  If you haven’t made Mexican grilled corn before, you are really missing out.  Prime corn season ended so put it on your bucket list for next year.
 
Flank Steak:
I go to the butcher or Mariano’s and usually ask them how much I should buy, as if they magically know how hungry I am.  Prepping the steak can be as easy as seasoning with oil, salt and pepper – or you can add fresh chopped garlic, a marinade, whatever you are in the mood for!  You can use a grill pan on the stove, or an actual grill (preferred).  The key is DON’T OVERCOOK IT.  You almost want to sear each side for a medium/medium rare finish.  You can let the steak sit after you remove from the heat and the meat will continue to cook inside and the juices will seal in.  It can take as little as 3 minutes on each side depending on how thick the cut is.
Flank steak with poblano corn sauce
Poblano Corn Sauce:
(Serves 2-4)
2 poblano peppers
1 cup corn (cooked fresh or frozen)
1 clove garlic
Cayenne pepper (optional)

I bought frozen ears of corn for this one; it’s a nice back-up if you can’t find fresh corn. On a grill pan (or grill) sear the corn and the poblano until they blister. Then peel and core the poblano, and finely dice. Cut of the corn kernels. Chop the garlic.

Transfer half of the poblano and corn, and the garlic to a food processor. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of water and puree to a chunky sauce. Season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, toss the remaining poblano and corn kernels with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and season with salt and pepper (optional cayenne).

In a small bowl, toss the remaining poblano and corn kernels with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and season with salt and pepper (optional cayenne). 

Spoon the sauce onto plates and top with the steak. Spoon the salsa on the meat and serve right away.
Sizzilin' the poblano and corn on the grill pan

Mexican Grilled Corn:
2 ears of corn
1/2 stick softened butter 
2-3 tbsp diced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (canned)
Salt and fresh lime (to taste)

You can find more complex and authentic recipes online; I made this when I didn’t feel like going out to buy a bunch of ingredients.  I never realized how awesome grilling the corn on an actual grill was until I made this.  Now I’m hooked!
Soak corn with husks in cold water for 20-30 minutes. Remove silk from husks. While soaking, mix softened butter, chili peppers, salt and lime in a bowl. Then rub the butter mixture on the corn (husks peeled back).  Wrap the husks back around the corn and place on the grill.  Turn the corn occasionally; you will see some burnt black spots, cook 8-12 minutes.  
Place the corn on a serving platter and once again peel back the husks and add more of the butter mixture (it’s a Paula Dean kind of night).  Finish with a little more lime if you would like.
Peel back the husk and spread butter mixture before grilling. Cover up corn with husk after application.






With husks on, grill corn until they brown (you will see burnt spots, that's okay) about 8-12 minutes.

Once grilled, add more butter and serve
Chimichurri Sauce:
I looooove this sauce.  I’ve looked at so many recipes and they all vary a bit. Below is my preferred mix, but you can also revise to suite your tastes.  You can use this as a marinade for the flank steak as well as a sauce.  This recipe makes about 1 cup – and a little goes a long way.

(Serves 2 - 4) 
1 cup fresh Italian parsley (flat leaf)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
3 garlic cloves
3/4 teaspoon cayenne or crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano (or Italian mix)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine everything in a food processor and you are done!

Flank steak with Chimichurri sauce and Mexican corn

No comments:

Post a Comment