image

image

Review: Perennial Virant

Perennial was the perfect cozy winter date night spot to complement the holiday spirit I've been embracing all winter long. We started the night at the Lincoln Park Zoo Lights - my first experience - and it definitely set the tone for the evening. We made reservations at Perennial since it's walkable from the zoo (no wusses here) and also because I love their brunches but have yet to try dinner there.

My brunches at Perennial were before Chef Virant came on board and I was excited to taste dishes from the acclaimed chef. The menu states “Honoring the seasons, the local land, and its farmers, Chef Paul Virant brings you the craft of creating and cooking with pickles, preserves, and Aigre-Doux”.  Apparently Aigre-Doux is French for sour-sweet, a combination we noticed was carried throughout most of our dishes. I really loved the atmosphere but was underwhelmed by some of our choices (nothing was bad at all, I just expected to be more impressed). I will go back again, probably to test out Chef Virant's brunch menu.
My first time at Zoo Lights - definitely does a good job of getting you in the holiday mood and brings backs the childhood excitement of Christmas (which I was totally feeling this year). There's hot coca, holiday music and the indoor animal exhibits are open.

While it's a good time, I wouldn't recommend centering your whole night around it. It's more of a 15 - 30 minute experience. It was perfect to walk through the zoo before dinner.

Warm atmosphere with low lights, candles and tasteful garland. Just what you want on a cold Chicago night.

Starting to warm up with some Prosecco and "Your Favorite Flannel" - which is not only the PERFECT winter cocktail name, it's also very delicious. Being a bourbon drink, I didn't expect it to come out in a champagne flute and was pleasantly surprised by the mild yet interesting taste (pictured on left).

My dinner photos turned out horribly due to the low lighting - and I was too embarrassed to be that person with the obnoxious flash going off (I'm already that weirdo taking pics of her food).  The meal began with a fresh slice of homemade bread and butter with sea salt. Truly one of the simple pleasures in life. I've come to appreciate restaurants that limit my bread intake since I don't have any self control. 

To start we ordered the Crispy Sauerkraut Pierogies with turkey confit, creamed leeks, fermented plum jam and turkey jus and the Gnocchi with crispy smoked ham, house sauerkraut, creme fraiche and cheese. We enjoyed both and they were very light, considering how heavy those types of dishes can be.

Trying to branch out from my usual entree order (where's the beef?!) I went with the Crispy Skin Baby Barramundi with marcona almond puree, grape aigre-doux, anisette butter, caramelized fennel, braised carrots, and barley. I loved the puree but the fish was...meh. It wasn't bad, it was just a really thin, small cut and left me yearning for my usually steak order.

We ordered both of the sides offered that night - the warm Brussels Sprout Salad and the Roasted Squash Gratin with brandied figs, ricotta, and thyme. The squash may have been my favorite of all the dishes.

For dessert we ordered the cookie plate - and we lucked out with the best selection. The night's assortment was a big brownie, cinnamon shortbread blondie, chocolate chip cookie and spritz butter cookies - they were all perfect. Seems fitting for our Christmas inspired night.




2 comments: