image

image

Review: Eataly

The long awaited Eataly is now open - and everyone in the city is flocking to the place. It's a madhouse. A fabulous madhouse. It's Whole Foods on Italian steroids (but not the Jersey Shore type). Located in River North at Ohio and Wabash, Eataly is a new lunch crowd-foodie-tourist-any-and-everyone staple. I would expect no less from culinary force Mario Batali (B&B Hospitality group) and may even forgive him for wearing those gawd awful orange Crocs. 

My first (and not even close to my last) trip to Eataly was more of a scouting mission. I will be honest, it was a bit overwhelming. The restaurant/store was way bigger than I had imagined and I think I just need to live there for a few days to soak it all in. I'll give you a quick recap and photo tour - and urge you to see it for yourself as soon as possible (at non-peak hours).

Both floors consist of fresh produce, packaged goods, merchandise and "restaurants" (more like stations). The Baffo Restorante is on both floors and has some nice street views.
Floor 1: fresh market of fruit and veggies, Lavazza cafe, Nutella Bar, panini bar, gelato, pastry bar, and housewares (ranging from cool kitchen tools to beautiful entertaining bowls and platters).
Floor 2: homemade pizza (in 90 seconds!), pasta bar, fresh mozzarella bar, meat and seafood counters, cheese station, bakery, olive oil, wine, brewery and another cafe.

Eataly is a one-stop shop - I probably won't be going there for everyday groceries (the produce was pretty expensive) but will definitely visit to dine-in or grab something for dinner/entertaining.

I was greeted by this colorful display of fresh veggies - some items of interest included persimmons (had a sample, it kind of looks like a tomato but tastes sweeter like apricot) and figs.
All of the produce is beautifully arranged.
Nutella any way you want it.
Show up to a party with these - or better yet - serve them at your own soiree and avoid the hassle (I love to cook but am not big on baking).
Moving to floor 2...view of the produce and fresh market vibe carried throughout.
The Italian version of a Forty - of course it's better. The brewery is viewable through large glass windows - this open concept is at all of the food stations. Love to watch the magic happen.
Gift baskets from $30 - $200; perfect for the holidays!
Cheese on cheese on cheese. Cheese completes me.
While I probably won't splurge on the pricey fruit and veggies, the seafood and butcher counters look well worth whatever the cost.
I love this "season wheel" - they literally point you in the right direction.


I'm already planning on going back tomorrow to taste test...possibly bringing my sleeping bag.  Let me know your favs when you go!

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing place! Your photos are fantastic. I need to take a field trip soon.

    ReplyDelete